Monday, December 17, 2007

THE DEPARTMENT OF LOST AND FOUND

By Allison Winn Scotch

Inspired by a personal story, this sometimes humorous and always moving debut novel takes a courageous look at cancer and captures the amazing strength of the human spirit.



Today I'm thrilled to be blogging about a book by a talented new member of the Girlfriends' Cyber Circuit, Allison Winn Scotch. This is Allison's debut, and the buzz has been nothing short of extraordinary. Trust me, not every new novel gets reviewed in Cosmopolitan and picked as an Editors' Choice from Redbook. So you know this is something special.

Allison was a good sport and agreed to play along with my GCC Does Hollywood posting, and here's how she would pitch THE DEPARTMENT OF LOST AND FOUND to our fictional producer:

The Department of Lost and Found is about a headstrong 30-year old woman who is diagnosed with cancer. But it’s really about so much more than that. Did I say cancer? No, what I meant was, the book is about an ambitious 30-year old who discovers that the ideals she once deemed important might not be so important after all, and by tracing through her past – her former loves and her former life – she realizes that though she’s been stripped of her career, her boyfriend and yes, her health, she’s still able to persevere. And that her disease was just a catalyst for putting her on a path to self-discovery.

When you read this book (and I hope you will) feel free to picture the actors Allison would cast in the lead roles ...

Oh trust me, I’ve batted this around in my mind for ages. For Natalie, I’d think that Jen Garner or Keri Russell would be aces. There was a while when we thought that Reese Witherspoon might be interested, and of course, she’d also rock the role, but everyone seems to want a piece of Reese these days (ha! Reese’s pieces), and certainly, think that there are others who would be similarly fabulous.



I also love me some Anne Hathaway.





For Zach, I pretty much say in the book that Patrick Dempsey would be the embodiment of my dream come true, though I think Mark Ruffalo would be a fine choice as well. And since I’m naming names, I’ll also throw in Michael Vartan, because, well, I’ll watch him in anything.



And for Jake? Unquestionably Scott Speedman, who should be getting a lot more work than he does these days. Didn’t anyone out there watch Felicity???




I think that Catherine Keener would make an awesome Senator Dupris, and Judy Greer would kick ass as Sally. Not a bad cast, right?





Not bad at all, Allison!

To buy THE DEPARTMENT OF LOST AND FOUND, visit your favorite chain or independent bookstore. To buy online, go to Amazon, Barnes & Noble or any cyber bookseller. For more information, check out Allison's website, allisonwinn.com.


2 comments:

Patry Francis said...

Sounds like something I really NEED to read! Happy Christmas to you, Ellen.

xox

Maryanne Stahl said...

thanks for this interview, ellen. I want to read this book.

checked out allison's web site and found several interesting magazine articles I've passed on to my daughter.