Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Update

Woosh. This week went by in a flash. Most of the excitement happened last weekend ...


• Emma, my 11-year-old, auditioned for JEOPARDY! KIDS on Saturday. We spent the whole day in Manhattan and had a blast. My biggest surprise was that people came from up and down the Eastern seaboard for this. Anyway, the parents were separated from the kids, so I didn't get to see any of it and have no idea how she did. We'll find if she made it next month. Only 15 kids are chosen (out of hundreds) so the odds are tough. But no matter what happens, it was a memorable adventure for both of us. (Shout-out to the cool parents I got to hang out with during the long wait! A terrific bunch ...)

• At the end of the long day, we took the Long Island Rail Road home from the city. As we neared our station, Emma got a little bored and started softly singing some Beatles' songs. I didn't think anybody heard, but when we got off the train, a man turned to her and said he worked for Q104.3, a rock radio station, and loved her singing. Then he said he would give her a shout-out the next day!

We actually listen to that station and so Emma was thrilled. When we got home, we went to the website just to make sure the guy wasn't pulling our legs. Sure enough, we found his picture--he's Gerry Martire, one of the weekend DJs. And oh, the shout-out he gave Emma! He went on and on about how great it was to meet her and how well she sang. It was the perfect end to an exciting weekend!

• The other big event this weekend was Max's 17th birthday on Sunday. Poor kid woke up sick that day, but wanted to celebrate anyway. We tried to keep it mellow, though. Took the family and one of his friends to see Coraline, and then had pizza and chocolate cake, Max's two favorite foods in the whole world.

• Been editing and proofreading my manuscript this week. I thought I was very close to sending it off to my editor, but I've been toying with the idea of adding some scenes. I dunno. I can't stop torturing myself.

• My 14-year-old, Ethan, is going to see that Friday the 13th movie today with his gang. I have never understood the fascination with entertainment designed to terrify. You couldn't pay me enough to sit through that.

• Kudos to Ethan and Max for the excellent report cards!!!

• This week I'm reading (and LOVING) the ARC of a forthcoming book, This Little Mommy Stayed Home, by Samantha Wilde. Remember that name. She's a debut author and she is going to be hot. Not easy to make me laugh out loud when I'm reading, but boy ... she has me in stitches.

• I did 50+ minutes on the treadmill today. Am I skinny yet? God, middle age sucks ...

No comments: