Monday, September 01, 2008

Tuesday Roundup

The original title of this post was Monday Roundup, which shows you how long it took me to get my act together. But okay, here are some odds and ends ...

* Blogger Dawn is giving away a fab gift bag in honor of THE SMART ONE over at her book review site, SheIsTooFondOfBooks. To enter, you just have to leave a comment. Check it out!

* I wrapped up my tour with Blog Stop Book Tours with a Q&A with readers. Click here to see.

* All summer long I've been meaning to blog about N.M. Kelby's MURDER AT THE BAD GIRL'S BAR AND GRILL, because I loved it and want everyone to know about this smart funny book. Now that the kids are back at school and things are settling down with publicity for THE SMART ONE, I hope I can stop stomping out fires long enough to actually do it.

* Today is the first day of the school year for us. My boys are less than thrilled, but my daughter ran to the bus stop singing, and then did a little involuntary jump for joy when the bus pulled up.

* So glad Gustav lost some of its fury and New Orleans was spared another Katrina. But thoughts and prayers to everyone in the destructive path of this beast.

* Speaking of Gustav, we took the family to the beach yesterday and there was enough residual storm power even here on the East Coast to effectively shut down the beach. We tried to wait it out, but the biting green flies were picnicking on our ankles and drove us away. Ouch.

* I recently finished reading Sara Gruen's WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (very arresting) and Michael Palmer's FATAL (astounding). Right now I'm reading Louise Erdrich's THE MASTER BUTCHER'S SINGING CLUB, which has me in its grips. The only thing these books have in common is that none of them is brand new. Though the next one in my reading pile, Bonnie Glover's GOING DOWN SOUTH, came out this summer.

* In addition to the failed beach excursion, our holiday weekend included a wonderful barbecue at a friend's house, and a fun family barbecue at our house. (I'm one of those lucky wives who actually enjoys spending time with her husband's family.) What did you do for the weekend?

No comments: