Thursday, November 13, 2008

INVISIBLE TOUCH

By Kelly Parra

Kelly Parra's new and exciting INVISIBLE TOUCH hit the stands just a few weeks ago, and I'm thrilled to be blogging about it. Young Adult readers, critics and fellow authors adore Kelly's exciting stories and engaging characters, and I'm sure you will, too.

I recently interviewed Kelly about this new book, and here are the highlights ...

How would you describe the genre of INVISIBLE TOUCH, and what pulled you toward it?

I would describe INVISIBLE TOUCH as a Contemporary Paranormal. Since it is about a modern teenage girl who has an odd psychic power of seeing signs or visions on individuals' torsos and must piece the clues together in order to stop an unfortunate fate. I've always been fascinated by the paranormal and signs that could have alternative meanings, and believed the concept would make a great story idea.

Do you have a favorite character in this book? If so, why?

My favorite character is definitely Kara. She's dealing with a strong psychic gift that is often at times a curse and tries to get a handle on it all by herself while the family deals with the grief of losing her father. She's got a strong heart and like a lot of teens with personal dilemmas trying to hold it together.6. Is there a story behind the title of this book?

Is there a story behind the title of INVISIBLE TOUCH?

A small one. My agent, editor and myself couldn't agree on a title. It sold under "Signs" which wasn't going to be the title just what we referenced the book as. There were all kinds of suggestions thrown on the table but we couldn't seem to agree, until my editor's assistant was on her way to a Phil Collins concert and offered one of the group's songs as a title--INVISIBLE TOUCH. It was a title that was cool for a song but really stood out for a book title. We all finally agreed!

Do you pay attention to book reviews? If so, has there been any particular review that made your heart do a little dance?

I do read reviews in the early stages so I can get a feel of what readers think of a new book. Its always a great feeling to read something nice by someone you've never met! TeensReadToo gave Invisible Touch the "Gold Star Award of Excellence" and the Salinas Californian gave it "Five Gold Pens". So early reviews have been nice to me!

What are you reading now?

I just finished Marjorie M. Liu's The Iron Hunt and now I'm reading Salvation in Death by J.D. Robb. I like to read my fave sci-fi authors!

Thanks so much, Kelly!

Just a reminder: books make excellent holiday gifts. So if you know a young reader, please look for INVISIBLE TOUCH at your favorite chain or independent bookstore. To buy online, visit amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, borders.com or any cyber bookseller. For more information, visit Kelly's website at kellyparra.com.

1 comment:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Hi Ellen,thank you so much for having me on your blog!