Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday Update

• Pretty kid-centered week here, as our schools are closed for spring break. But (sniff sniff) I'm down one son as Ethan was whisked away to the Bahamas with a friend's family. I've been getting cellphone pics emailed to me regularly, but the hole in my heart won't close until he's back home.

• This week, as I'm in a holding pattern waiting to hear back from my editor on my revisions, I'm working on my next novel ... or trying to. I have a long way to go before I nail the story. The other day I tried writing the first page of chapter one just to see if I could find the voice. I thought I was onto something but then read it back and realized it sucked. So today I gave it another shot. Dare I think I might have actually scored? Stay tuned to see if I still feel that way in two weeks.

• Just finished reading THE SAFETY OF SECRETS by DeLaunĂ© Michel. Wonderful, engaging, surprising book. Great book club read, I think.

• Two out of the three kids had their annual physicals this week and all is well. At 5'11" Max is in the 75th percentile in height. At 4'7" Emma is in the 15th percentile. Quite the spread.

• If I have time next week, I'll blog about why I think my writer friends are getting carried away with this whole Amazon fail issue. There IS no conspiracy of censorship, and people are reading the facts the wrong way. It'll take quite a few paragraphs to explain, so I'll try to carve out some time for it.

• Last night I took the kids and a friend to Adventureland (the amusement park, not the movie) for a night of fun to benefit Nassau Suffolk Services for Autism. A little cold for me, but the children had a blast.

• Department of Bitter Pill to Swallow: I was in the car with the kids listening to Q104.3 when Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls came on. I had to break it to my daughter, who is built exactly like me, that the song was definitely not written about us. Harsh reality ... we don't make the rockin' world go round.

• On Monday I had a lot of fun doing a live podcast at ijustfinished.com. See blog entry below for details.

• No update next Friday as I'll be driving up to Newburyport for the literary festival. If you're in New England, I hope you'll come by. Click here for more info.

No comments: