Friday, September 03, 2010
Friday Update 9/3/10
Some other highlights and cool links ...
• Amidst the insanity of getting ready for school and gearing up for my daughter's impending bat mitzvah, I had to take someone to the hospital for a scheduled treatment. It was a medication drip that takes two hours to complete. The nurse came back repeatedly to check the pump and make adjustments. "You're in the home stretch now," she said at one point. "Just a little while longer." About a half hour later I noticed that the medicine bag looked full. Guess what? SHE NEVER STARTED THE DRIP. He had been receiving a slow drip of saline for all those hours and we had to start from scratch.
Can you say "incompetent"?
But as maddening as it was to waste all those precious hours, at least it wasn't dangerous. It really drove home how easy it is to be the victim of medical mistakes.
• A couple of great links for my writer friends. Here, author April Henry addresses writing for teens vs. adults, and here, agent Nathan Bransford succinctly explains "high concept."
• A very generous new writer friend, Jill Thomas, posted a rave review of THE SMART ONE this week. Thanks, Jill!
• Another big thanks to all who visited and left comments on my first Girlfriends Book Club blog entry.
• Despite my hectic schedule, I'm back on track with FAREWELL, DOROTHY PARKER, and made some good progress this week. I actually had a couple of storyline epiphanies and am excited to get it all written. Love being back in the writing groove!
• Speaking of FAREWELL, DOROTHY PARKER, a very special shout-out to my darling and brilliant friend Myfanwy Collins for reading my chapters and offering such sage editorial advice. Everyone should be lucky enough to have such a smart and wonderful friend!
• Aside to Project Runway fans ... Mondo got robbed. We all know the judges chose Michael C. for the back room drama, don't we?
That's it for now. To my fellow East Coasters ... nail your tushes to the ground and have a safe weekend! And happy Labor Day wishes to all.