Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Nod From The Paris Review

Yesterday my Dorothy Parker Facebook page FAQs got a shout-out from the Paris Review. They called it the ne plus ultra of dead author Facebook page FAQs.

If you didn't see it, here's what you missed:

Q: Are you really Dorothy Parker?
A: No. Dorothy Parker died in 1967.

Q: Don't you think it's kind of weird for a dead writer to have a Facebook page?
A: Not really. There are lots of dead authors haunting Zuckerberg Manor.

Q: Why do you repeat quotes so often? It pisses me off.
A: Yeah, I get a lot of that. But it's a little difficult to get new quotes from a writer who's been dead for decades. I'm careful, though, not to repeat anything more than once a month.

Q: On the other hand, I don't think I'm getting all your status updates in my news feed. Is that something you're doing on purpose?
A: No. It's some kind of fascist algorithm recently introduced by Facebook to try to squeeze ad dollars out of long-suffering page administrators.

Q: How do you know Dorothy Parker actually said the things you attribute to her?
A: I've been researching her extensively for years for a book I'm writing.

Q: What if I think you mistakenly attributed someone else's quote to Dorothy Parker?
A: You're probably wrong, so check your sources. But if you can prove I made a mistake, by all means call me out on it. I'll hold out my hand for a sharp slap.

Q: What if I can't prove it but really enjoying feeling like I'm smarter than you?
A: I hear that Oscar Wilde is looking for new followers.

___
Speaking of the Paris Review, here's a link to the interview they did with Dorothy Parker in 1956. Still one of the best writer interviews ever.

____

Farewell, Dorothy Parker is moving right along. I got the book jacket design the other day and it's a knockout. Can't wait to share it with you! Hope to have the official pub date very soon.

1 comment:

Correspondance said...

Hi thannks for sharing this