Friday, October 03, 2008

Friday Update

I'm going to try to keep this blog up-to-date by posting news and updates every Friday. Here goes ...

* I'm up to page 130 in my new novel, The Silver Line (working title). I have myself on a schedule of 10 pages a week, which is pretty challenging for me. Right now, I'm 15 pages ahead of schedule. Yeah!

* This week was Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. (Shana Tova, everyone!) We didn't get off to a great start, as 4 out 5 members of this family were sick. (The only healthy one? Me!) Fortunately, it wasn't a brutal virus and everyone is either better or on the mend. I credit my homemade chicken soup.

* I'm not blogging about the election because it's such a volatile issue and I can't imagine I'd be able to change anyone's mind. But if the top of my head explodes, you'll know why.

* I just finished reading Bonnie Glover's astounding GOING DOWN SOUTH. Read this book! It's a story about three generations of African American women, and it's tender and real and funny and heartbreaking. My favorite kind of novels are the ones that offer insight into complex human relationships, and this one delivers. I promise you'll love it. Also, I highly recommend it for book clubs.

* I've just agreed to the weirdest event I've ever been asked to do: read (to myself) in a window on 5th Avenue in NYC. It's part of a SONY e-Book program to promote literacy. A guy named Dave Farrow is spending the whole month of October reading in this public space, and I'm one of his relief readers. Click here for more information.
Click here for a live view of the reading space.

1 comment:

Bonnie Glover said...

Ellen - I'm so glad that you liked GOING DOWN SOUTH. Means a lot that you do. I'm proud of your schedule and hope I can develop more discipline too!