Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Update

* Up to page 162 in the manuscript now. What's exciting is that I feel I have an excellent handle on the outline for the rest of the book, which means it should get easier now and not harder.

* Got my Putnam/Berkley book contracts in the mail today. Woo-hoo!!

* My daughter has decided to be a flying squirrel for Halloween, which means I actually have to make the costume. (Sue Henderson, do you know how lucky you are?) The big problem here is that I DO NOT SEW, despite the fact that I was once the publicity director for the American Home Sewing Association. Worst yet, darling daughter has a costume party tomorrow, which means I have to finish it today. Further, it's almost 4:00 and I haven't yet been on the treadmill or showered. I need staff!

* Getting back to the book, here's something kind of cool. The whole idea behind the portal in my new novel is that every time my protagonist makes a big decision in her life, an alternate life in which she made the other decision splinters off. I thought this was a pretty crazy and fantastical notion, but this week there was a special on Nova about one of the world's most brilliant physicists, Hugh Everett III, who believed that the only way to reconcile quantum mechanics with the physical world we live in is to acknowledge that multiple worlds exist in which all of our possible choices have occurred. Wild, huh? You can read more about it here. And if you can wrap mind around it, you're at least a thousand times smarter than me.

* I did something fun and strange this week, courtesy of Sony Reader. As part of a campaign to promote literacy, a guy name David Farrow is spending the entire month of October sitting in a store window on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, reading to himself from the Sony Reader. The whole thing is captured on live webcam. Yesterday, I was one of his relief readers for an hour. It was a trip, having people gawk at me like an animal in the zoo. I even had my picture snapped by tourists. Please click here to learn more about this great program.

No comments: