Thursday, July 09, 2009

THIS LITTLE MOMMY STAYED HOME

By Samantha Wilde

Samantha Wilde is a funny and fabulous new writer, and a welcome addition to the Girlfriends Cyber Circuit. Blogging out her debut novel, THIS LITTLE MOMMY STAYED HOME, is especially exciting for me because I got to read an advance copy for a blurb, and I LOVED it.

Here's what I said:

"She had me at perineum! THIS LITTLE MOMMY STAYED HOME is the funniest novel I've read in a long, long time. What a treat! Mothers everywhere deserve this book.”




Samantha was good enough to answers some questions for me, so here goes ...


Can y
ou tell my readers a little bit about THIS LITTLE MOMMY STAYED HOME?

Joy McGuire, a seemingly normal person with a seemingly normal marriage, has a baby, after which point, nothing is normal again. Not her breasts or her belly or her heart or her marriage. It’s a hilarious, rueful, laugh-out-loud post partum tale about the grueling work of the first nine months of the first baby when change is an urgent necessity that you wish you could run away from.


What was the inspiration for the book?


I started it when my son was about nine months out of some desperate creative drive. I wrote during his nap times. Twice a day, one hour each time

Do you remember the moment you for the idea? How and when did that happen?

It evolved organically. The whole thing came out of me. Kind of like a baby. And then it became its own thing. Kind of a like a kid.

Is your main character, Joy, based on you?

She isn’t me, thank God. I’m not nearly as funny. Besides, she had romance in the first nine months post partum. I did not.

Do you read novels while you're writing? How does that affect you?

I’m always reading, but I actually haven’t read much in the same genre as my book (chick lit, yummy mummy stuff). In fact, I prefer when writing not to read similar novels. I’d hate to think of borrowing so directly. Since I read fiction and non, I’m always into something, and often it has no similarities with the sort of thing I write.

Do you remember when you typed "The End?" What happened next?

I probably cried. Or one of my children did.

Ha! Thanks so much, Sam!


You can buy THIS LITTLE MOMMY STAYED HOME at your favorite chain or independent bookstore. To purchase online, visit Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, Borders.com or any cyber bookseller. For more information, visit Samantha's blog at wildemama.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Samantha Wilde said...

Thanks, Ellen! All this being blogged around is really fun. And thank you again for that wonderful, funny quote! Anyone who gets the book can see it right on the top of the back cover!