Sunday, February 19, 2006

My curmudgeonly thought for the day

I'm sorry, I know this doesn't pertain to any of my blog readers, most of whom are probably better spellers than I am. But this has been driving me crazy and I have to get it out:

There is no "a" in the word "definitely"! The root is "finite," get it?

Phew. I feel better. You have no idea who many writers misspell that word.

And in case you're wondering, "curmudgeonly" is an adjective.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programs ...

3 comments:

Myfanwy Collins said...

ELLEN! THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!! You have no idea how many times I grit my teeth over "definATEly"!!! I see if all of the time.

Ellen said...

I KNOW! What's the deal with that? And how come writers in particular can't spell that word?

Alas, the people who misspell it don't read my blog, so I haven't made any significant contribution to the world today.

Katie said...

Girl, I'm sitting in the front row of the curmudgeon choir. Preach to me!