Friday, July 01, 2011
Friday Upate 7/1/11
Here are a few other highlights of my week ...
• The other day Mike and I were in the car with our 13-year-old, who marches to her own drummer. The word "cool" came up, and Emma remarked, in a pretty upbeat tone, "I'll never be cool."
"You're nerd-cool," I said.
"But I'll never be regular-cool. I'll be regular-anything. But you know what? I'm okay with that."
What a kid.
• This week I was interviewed by Adam Curry for The Big Show, coming soon to a smartphone near you. It was a lot of fun, and Adam is smart and cute. I'll give a heads up when it's available.
• Had a lot of fun at the Women's Fiction mini-conference in NYC, including a stellar presentation on plot structure by Michael Hauge, and a panel presentation by four industry pros, including my brilliant agent, Andrea Cirillo, and her colleague extraordinaire, Meg Ruley. The other panelists, agent Kristin Nelson and Random House editor Shauna Summers, were equally smart, impressive and insightful. All in all, a great day (except that they starved us).
I was sorry my wonderful pal Saralee Rosenberg couldn't make it, but thrilled that Alix Strauss took her place. And a special shout-out to Maggie Marr for pulling off the impossible.
• Got my editor's notes on FAREWELL, DOROTHY PARKER, so expect me to be very busy working the next few weeks. I probably won't even be answering the phone.
• Last but not least, if you're on Long Island, please come to the Jericho Library this Tuesday, July 5, at 7pm. I'll be talking about THE OTHER LIFE. Lots of juicy gossip included, free of charge. More info here.