Sunday, November 06, 2005

I need to whine today

I'm cranky today, really feeling tired of the way so many writers let jealousy blacken their hearts. I belong to an online writers' group where most of the folks are truly supportive. But in the past week, three different writers have made it their business to lash out at me. The latest came in the form of a review of some chapters I posted. It was so unnecessarily mean that it just broke my heart. I wasn't insulted by her comments about the chapters, as her points were foolish and lame, and really made little sense. Indeed, her criticisms were so obnoxious and pervasive, it was clear she was hell bent on wounding me. But why? I've never had any dealings with this woman. I can only surmise that it's my success that has her so angry.

And then today I read an entry in Tess Gerritsen's blog, where she complains about critics putting her down for being "too commercial." Essentially, they're angry that she's successful. (I just read her latest, Vanish, and can't imagine that anyone who enjoys thrillers could seriously complain about her writing, which is pitch perfect.)

So bleh. All this pettiness has me in a bad mood.

Okay, I'll go play with my kids now. They have such lovely hearts.

7 comments:

Darby said...

I'm sure that when she stops to think about it, she'll come to realize what we've all come to realize and that's that Ellen Meister is one remarkable and lovely writer.

Ellen said...

Oh, Darby, I'm so touched. Thank you!

Myfanwy Collins said...

This makes me so sad, Ellen. Not only are you talented but you are so giving.

xo
myf

HanktheDog said...

Hope you feel better. My experience is that kids and dogs (and just the right cat) are the greatest balms for the wounded heart.

Donald Capone said...

Hey, I LOVED those 2 chapters you posted on Zoetrope. Just ignore that review. It's jealousy, nothing else.

Ellen said...

Thanks Myf and Don. You guys are so good to me.

Hank, you're a very wise pooch. I hope somebody gives you a treat and a scratch behind the ears today.

SusanD said...

Jealous toys!!

Ellen, please. It IS ridiculous, but that's exactly why you need to laugh about it. A mean-spirited review? Sure, it's sad that we're so perverse as a culture that we have to knock others to make ourselves feel better. But you KNOW you've got the goods, and you've got the deal, and you've got so much class to boot. So really. Once you get over the initial shock, you just have to laugh over this one.