Friday, March 06, 2009

Friday Update ... a quickie

Argh! I let almost the whole day go by. Here's what's new ...

• I've been suffering so much angst over the title of my forthcoming novel. I haven't been happy with any of my ideas, despite all my brainstorming. (Indeed, my house has been littered with dozens of notepads, hundreds of pages and thousands of ideas.) All along, I sensed that the simplist, most straightforward and graceful title was staring me in the face.

But what the hell was it?

And then, one day this week, it happened. A flash of inspiration and there it was:
THE OTHER LIFE

This is the perfect title, as it refers to my protagonist's two lives, as well as the life of her unborn baby. I sent it off to my editor and agents, and everyone likes it. Not sure it's official yet, so stay tuned.

• Last Friday night I met a group of my old high school pals at a local watering hole. What a blast! I'm so impressed with how charming and funny this group is.

• Tonight I'm meeting with a Long Island book club that read THE SMART ONE, which is one of my favorite ways to spend an evening. If you're local and would like me to visit your club, drop me a line. If you're not local, I'd be happy to do a phone-in appearance. Just click here.

• This week I finished reading Michael Palmer's THE FIRST PATIENT. What a ride!! I'm in awe. Right now I'm reading HUGO CABRET by Brian Selznick. This was recommended to me by my smartypants daugther when I said that I thought my next book might be divided into two parts.

• Gotta run ... carpooling calls.

1 comment:

Roger Morris said...

THE OTHER LIFE does it for me. Nice one, Ellen.