Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Update

A bit of progress to report ...

• Yesterday I emailed my agents about 50+ pages of my work-in-progress, The Cousins' Club. I haven't told them a single thing about the story, so I have no idea what their reaction will be. Fingers crossed ...

• Still waiting to hear on a pub date and final title for my third novel. I'm more anxious about the pub date. There was a chance it would wind up on the spring 2010 schedule, but that didn't happen. So now I wait for a date on the summer calendar, which goes from May to August, and pray I don't get August again. I know a lot of people think that's a good month for books, but I disagree. I think the reason bookstore sales are high in August is because college stores are included in the mix. August is bad for me. No one is around. Promotion is nearly impossible. I can't get arrested in August. I rest my case. (Except for one thing ... if my book gets pushed off until fall I will slit my wrists.)

I'm visualizing May. May May May.

• Last Sunday was the first ever BOOKS NJ festival. Saralee Rosenberg was our designated driver for the day, taking Brenda Janowitz and me to Paramus. While waiting for my chariot I turned on the radio and heard that the George Washington Bridge was closed all morning for a walkathon. As if that wasn't bad enough, there was a massive accident on the Cross Bronx and all lanes were closed. Wait, there's more. Sunday was the Puerto Rican Day Parade, which meant that 5th Avenue in Manhattan was closed, making through-traffic impossible. Think it can't get any worse? There was a Yankees game.

Can someone please remind me why I don't live in Wyoming or something?

Anyway, as the pictures below attest, we did actually make it. (Went north to the Tappan Zee Bridge.) So glad we did, because the festival was extraordinary. It was so well-organized it's hard to believe this was their maiden voyage. Way to go, New Jersey! Kudos to Arlene Sahraie and the rest of the gang for pulling off the impossible. Special thanks, too, to Mary Riskind, Director of the Bergenfield Public Library, for doing such a great job moderating our panel.



Our panel, Women Are Characters, was at 3.


My panel, left to right: Saralee Rosenberg, Ellen Meister, Carol Hoenig, Brenda Janowitz (with guest)


Saralee, yours truly, Carol, Brenda and author Debra Borden


Chillin' before the panel


With Mary Riskind, our trusty moderator

No comments: