Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Update 4/29/11

Sorry about going AWOL last week. The kids were off from school and things got hectic. Here's a catch-up ...

• Vacation week was a bit of a bust, as most of us were sick at one point or another. Also, homework! Sheesh. I spent most of my time at the kitchen table helping the kids get through their various projects. The youngest has it the worst. What's with those middle school teachers? Her workload is INSANE. And why do they give all that work over the break? Feels passive-aggressive to me ...

• This week I was very excited to discover that THE OTHER LIFE is on the Austin Public Library's Best Fiction of 2011 list!

• I love the questions Carrie Runnals asked in her Words to Mouth interview. Please pop in and check it out. Also note that she's giving away a free copy of THE OTHER LIFE. To enter the drawing, just leave a comment at the bottom of the interview.

• Writer friends--in case you didn't already see this, Penguin has launched a new workshop site for genre writers. It's called bookcountry.com, and it's free to join.

• Speaking of writing, I've agreed to teach a continuing ed course at Hofstra in the fall. More on that soon. Meanwhile, if you want to see what they're offering this summer, visit ce.hofstra.edu

• There's still time to get a free bookplate for Mother's Day. Just drop me a line and tell me who to make it out to and where to send it. If you're in the U.S., I'll pay the postage.

• I miss Michael Scott already. One of the best characters in the history of television ...

Have a great weekend.

No comments: